Kevin Burke trial: Police officer 'seemed so angry', court told

2019-02-13 07:36:52

A senior Northland police officer took a woman in a "bear hug" and forced her to the floor of her home before sexually assaulting her, a court has heard.

Detective inspector Kevin Burke denies two counts of indecent assault and two counts of sexual violation against two complainants in 2002 and 2003.

At Auckland's High Court on Tuesday, Crown prosecutor Jo Murdoch called the first complainant as a witness and asked her about the 2002 incident where Burke allegedly assaulted her.

The complainant said it happened a couple of weeks after she had reported a crime to Burke at Orewa police station, where he then worked.

She did not see Burke again, until one evening he walked unannounced up her driveway with a bottle of wine and a box of beer, she said.

"I just thought, 'This is bizarre'."

Sitting at a table on her back deck, Burke proceeded to drink all the beer he'd brought in the box, while talking about the criminal she had laid a complaint about, she said.

The woman, who was living alone, did not drink any alcohol with Burke, she said.

She said she was concerned about him driving after drinking so much and gave him some pasta, then later, went to prepare a spare room for him while he remained outside.

When she went to show Burke to his room, he grabbed her and pulled her onto the bed as she struggled, she said.

"He was still laying on his back and he still had me like a bear hug. He still hadn't spoken at all. He was just kissing my neck, kissing my face."

Burke pushed her onto the floor, where he sexually assaulted her over a period of a couple of minutes, the complainant told Murdoch.

"He seemed so angry," she said, crying, in the witness stand on Tuesday afternoon. "He just seemed so angry. Just quite aggressive. He was very strong.

"He pulled me back up onto the bed and then it was as though he was going to sleep."

Burke was stood down from the police force in April 2017 when the criminal investigation started and was charged in December 2017.

The Crown finished its questioning of the first complainant on Tuesday afternoon.

The trial continues.

Back to the top ^

Related Articles (30)