Wellington police have arrested four people on abduction charges, after a woman appeared in hospital with a severed finger.
Two men and two women faced multiple charges in the Wellington District Court on Tuesday afternoon.
The men, aged 27 and 30, face charges of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and kidnapping.
The 30-year-old is also charged with possession of a shotgun for unlawful purposes.
The two women, 26 and 35, also face kidnapping charges.
Court documents show the offending happened between Tuesday, March 12 to Monday, March 18.
All accused were granted interim name suppression.
Stuff understands the woman arrived at Wellington Hospital's emergency department in March, saying she had been abducted off the street and tortured.
She had multiple broken bones, including broken ribs.
In court on Tuesday, defence lawyer Kevin Smith said the 27-year-old would contest the charges, as he claimed no involvement in the incident.
The 27-year-old, who was denied bail, slapped both hands on his side and announced: "I'm not guilty, I don't even know what I'm here for."
Do you know more? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
The 30-year-old was remanded until a hearing on Friday.
The 26-year-old woman was bailed to a rehabilitation facility she had referred herself to in Lower Hutt. The 35-year-old woman was bailed.
In March, police offered few details about the case, refusing to say how the woman got to the hospital, why she had been kidnapped, and where she had been held.
The woman was abducted in Wellington's CBD in the early hour of March 13 and sparked a two-month investigation, Detective Senior Sergeant Warwick McKee said.
"A team of officers and police support staff have been working diligently since this incident took place and today conducted two search warrants – one in central Wellington, the other in the eastern suburbs," he said.
Police expect to make more arrests.