Police seize CCTV footage of Jarryd Hayne drinking in a club hours after alleged sexual assault
Source: http://www.stuff.co.nz/news/108811384/-

2018-11-22 21:17:42

Police have seized CCTV footage of Australian rugby league star Jarryd Hayne drinking with former Parramatta Eels teammates Brad Takairangi and Kaysa Pritchard in a Sydney western suburbs bowling club, hours after he allegedly committed a sexual assault in September.

The Sydney Morning Herald can reveal Hayne was drinking with his former teammates at the Merrylands Bowling Club about 3am, after the alleged incident that took place in the Hunter region of New South Wales on the night of the NRL grand final.

There is no suggestion whatsoever that Takairangi, who played for the Kiwis last year, and Pritchard were involved in, or had any knowledge of, the alleged incident.

It is understood police seized CCTV footage from the bowling club when they were made aware that Hayne had been drinking at the club.

Investigators are yet to speak with Takairangi or Pritchard, but it is likely they will speak with the pair as part of the ongoing investigation.

Police declined to comment except to confirm that they had started inquiries into the time Hayne spent at the club and that the investigation was continuing.

A Parramatta spokesman declined to comment on the incident, saying it was "a police matter".

"The club and the players will not be making any public comment," he said.

Hayne reported to Castle Hill Police Station in Sydney on Thursday afternoon for the second time since his release on bail, accompanied by his close friend Ray Roumanous.

​Roumanous travelled with Hayne to the United States during the first leg of his American sojourn, the pair living and training together as Hayne prepared himself for a series of NFL trials that eventually led to a San Francisco 49ers contract in 2015.

Three years on, Hayne has been charged with aggravated sexual assault over the incident, in the Hunter region, with police alleging the cross-code star was intoxicated when he travelled to a house north of Newcastle to meet a 26-year-old woman.

Hayne is alleged to have bitten the female victim on her genital area, causing severe bleeding that required her to seek medical attention the following day.

The former fullback had allegedly been drinking in the Newcastle or Central Coast region before travelling via taxi to meet the woman, with whom he had been communicating via a social messenger app.

Upon arrival, he allegedly asked the taxi driver to wait for about 20 minutes.

The alleged victim reportedly communicated with Hayne afterwards, telling him how badly she was injured.

Hayne is bound by a series of strict bail conditions, including reporting to police three times a week, surrendering his passport and posting a A$20,000 surety.

It is understood Hayne is yet to be interviewed or make any statement to NSW Police over the alleged assault and plans to beef up his legal representation.

The charge against Hayne appears to have effectively ended his NRL career. The 30-year-old was off contract after finishing up his commitments with Parramatta at the end of the season.

The Eels had expressed a desire to re-sign the former NSW and Australian representative but, with only A$200,000 left in their salary cap, needed to offload at least one contracted player to accommodate him. Parramatta aborted plans to sign him following the latest allegations.

Another suitor, St George Illawarra, has done likewise. The Dragons were the favourites to add Hayne to a backline in need of a marquee man following the departure of Nene Macdonald to North Queensland and the retirement of Jason Nightingale.

However, the Red V ended negotiations after Hayne was charged.

Back to the top ^

Related Articles (30)