One dead, three hospitalised after single car crash in central Christchurch

2018-11-17 05:46:57

A car which crashed into a Christchurch school leaving a young woman dead and three people in hospital had been chased by police just minutes before after the driver failed to stop for officers.

The accident happened when the car careered across Gloucester St and smashed through a fence and into a building at Christchurch East School at around 11.15pm on Friday.

Police called off their pursuit minutes earlier because officers deemed it too dangerous.

The accident came on a day of carnage for Christchurch's roads that left two people dead and five in hospital, bringing the death toll to three in less than a week.

Further afield, two motorcyclists were killed and a third was left fighting for their life in an accident during a charity ride in Southland, while another motorcyclist died in a crash on Lower Buller Gorge Road, both incidents on Saturday.

Another motorcyclist also lost their life in Henderson, West Auckland, again on Saturday afternoon.

The woman in the Christchurch crash, a passenger who was in her 20s, died at the scene, police said. She is yet to be formally identified.

One of the injured males remains in a stable condition in hospital; the condition of a second person, a female, is unclear while a third person has been discharged. All four were travelling in the car.

A police spokesman said: "Police can confirm the car involved in a fatal crash on Gloucester St had earlier failed to stop when signalled to do so by police.

"Police had initiated a pursuit but abandoned after only seconds due to the manner of driving.

"The car crashed around five minutes after the pursuit was abandoned. It was not being pursued by police at the time of the crash."

A witness to the aftermath of the crash told Stuff the car had ploughed through the school fence before coming to a stop after hitting a tree.

While specialist police officers are still investigating, skid marks suggest it swerved across the road before demolishing the fence and tree and badly damaging a wooden building in the school's grounds.

Flowers were laid at the scene on Saturday morning.

Earlier on Friday another person died and two others were taken to hospital in a serious condition after a crash between a car and a motorcycle in Sydenham.

A four-wheel drive car was left on its side and debris strewn across the road after the incident at the junction of Colombo and Sandyford streets in Sydenham, which happened shortly after 11pm.

The deaths come less than a week after motorcyclist Kyle John McKitterick died on his 48th birthday in a crash on Dyers Pass Rd near Christchurch.

McKitterick hit a van that was turning into a driveway as he rode up the hill towards Christchurch.

A service for him is being held at Harewood Crematorium Chapel today.

Dyers Pass Rd, which links Cashmere and Governors Bay, is an accident blackspot.

Since 2008, 170 crashes have been reported there, resulting in 95 injuries and two deaths.

Back to the top ^

Related Articles (30)